POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Mozilla and these newsgroups : Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:12:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups
From: Roz
Date: 12 Apr 2003 13:02:31
Message: <3e9846a7$1@news.povray.org>
Gergely Vandor wrote:
> I've recently installed the latest Mandrake and I still have problems
> accessing the newsgroups through http with Mozilla. Yes, cookies are
> enabled. IIRC it didn't work for me in gentoo linux either.
> http://news.povray.org just throws me to the welcome/settings page every
> time, clicking the button at the bottom just reloads that page. Some time
> last year I started a thread about this here but I can't find that, so
> sorry if it has already been answered.
>
> Is the web interface designed to only work with Windows/IE? (Don't flame, it
> was just a joke. Sort of.)
>
> Gergely

I know the POV-Ray web designers would never intend to target a
particular platform.

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing what is happening to you
using Mozilla. If I go to http://news.povray.org and click the
Enter the Groups button at the bottom, I just get taken back
to the Welcome screen.

If I go to http://www.povray.org/resources/newsgroups and
click on any of the direct webview links then I can get to
the web view of the newsgroups (i.e.
http://news.povray.org/povray.general works).

I've duplicated this behavior in a self-compiled version of
Mozilla 1.2.1 on Gentoo Linux and a freshly downloaded binary
version of Mozilla 1.3 on Windows 98. It also loops back in
Phoenix 0.5 but that browser is based on the same engine as
Mozilla.

It works fine in Konqueror 3.1.1 (Linux) and IE 5.0 (Windows).
And believe or not, it works fine in Netscape 4.79 (Linux).

So my suspicion is that there's something weird with Mozilla's
handling of it. Btw, http://news.povray.org passes the W3C
html validator so I would have expected Mozilla to handle the
site correctly.

Since the site works with Mozilla 1.3.1 for PoD, I will grab
that, compile it and give it a test. Mozilla isn't a quick
compile so I may be a while before reporting the results ;)

-Roz